Formally known as 'Let's Get Shabby' since 2009.
Times have changed and many of us have found our styles have too.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

CHALLENGE #7 SHABBY TIP

.
Do you all remember this layout?


It was Chimene's first shabby challenge sample. Its easy to fall in love with the way she distressed her photo and thought it would be a good idea to share with us the tips used on distressing.

Here are a few words from Chimene:
It's very simple. I use sand paper, the same as what my husband uses on furniture and brown distress ink. I always print my photos at home as at a photo studio they use a photo paper with a coating on it and then it's harder to work with the sanding paper and if using an old vintage photo I will always scan and reprint a copy rather than use the original. On some pictures I used it a little and on some pictures I use it a lot to camouflage the background. Depending on the photo and the effect I want to achieve I will sand in both vertical and horizontal directions. I then dab distress ink over some areas of the sanding and the edges of my photos.

Here are a few samples of Chimene's awesome distressing.

Here she has used a lot of sanding on her background as well as inking parts of the sanded area too.
.
This has a little bit of distressing.

and on this one, the edges have been distressed

Thanks for sharing with us your shabby tip Chimene!
Make sure you pop on over to check out her blog and her totally awesome shabby creations.



For those of you that are new to the Let's get shabby blog a side bar link list has been for all the past shabby girls tips and tutorials so that they can be easily found.


Don't forget you have four more days to get your creations in for CHALLENGE #7 ,
then all of us shabby girls will have another hard job on our hands choosing the winner and HM's.
The projects that have been coming in are just stunning.
.
.
.
.
.

13 comments:

Toni said...

I just luv Chimenes work!!!!

zandra said...

Me, too! Thanks for sharing!
Hugz, Z

Carmen said...

This is a really nice technique. Especially love the last photo of the close up. Really nice results!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Chimene.

Anonymous said...

These layouts are wonderful!!! Breathtaking!!

Jenneke said...

Wonderful technique, Chimene!!! But although I use this technique, I'll never be able to make such gorgeous layouts as you do!!!!!

XXXJenneke

Lesley Edmonds said...

Thank you for sharing - I shall have a go! Just wish I could take such gorgeous photos LOL!
Lesley x

Asil said...

Wow, that's really nice! I've only tried sanding the edges, but now I'll most def try to sand a lot more of the pictures!! Thank you! :)

Lynne said...

Love that look!!! I will definitely try this new technique!!! Beautiful layouts!!!

ann said...

Thanks for sharing your work is stunning !!!

Ruth Philps said...

I am surprised at that technique as I always thought you used photoshop or something to get that look...now sandpaper and ink I can do!.... so am definately going to try this one ASAP!!

Thankyou for sharing your techinques with us Chimene xxx

Timcso said...

I love the technique and your works Chimene!:)

Yatie Tajudin said...

Wow!! That is just awesome!! Thanks for sharing the tip!!